View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960 shark View Post
This may sound like a stupid question since you already have the Pontiac engine, But why did you opt to not use a Ford motor in a Ford Hot Rod?You have a ton of available options for a 302 and theyre a cheaper and easier too.

I have over $6000 in my Pontiac engine and its nothing extravagant.But I HAD to put a Pontiac in my Pontiac.
Easy....I'm a pontiac guy, not a ford guy. I just love the 33-34 ford coupe's styling...purely a personal choice but I trust my Pontiac mechanicals a lot further than I trust ford's.
Now, the real issue is whether the late heads [#48s] can be drilled for water passages that correspond with the reverse-cooling early block. I'm not too worried about the head cooling issues [having no water tubes in the late heads] because Pontiac engineers appeared to have no issues with it either................and that was after the coolant had already passed through the cylinder block.
If there's no meat to drill the early coolant holes in the later heads, I'm finished......no way to get coolant from the heads back down to the block and out of the engine.
My new 59, 389 head gaskets should tell me if it's possible...can't wait to get my hands on those later heads to see!