View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior Chief

Default 67 Firebird Restoration

In 1995 I purchased a 1967 326 convertible Firebird knowing nothing at all about them!
The idea being to drive it and restore it as I went along. But, you know how it is, having no knowledge of its previous history I decided I would tear down the engine and have it re-built. I am very good at pulling things apart, but not very good at putting them back together!!!!
Good job I pulled the engine apart, as one bore was very badly scored. Then engine was re-built using new everything except the castings including hardened valve seats and valves to run on unleaded. While the engine was down, I thought "well let's do the rest of it, it will only take a couple of years, at best!", but when you are relying on other people to do the work even being paid to do it, they seem to take their time. So, to cut a very long story short, I media blasted the body shell which resulted in replacing the floor panels front to back either side of the transmission tunnel. New trunk floor, new inner wheel housings, new wheel housing, and rear quarters, plus re-skinning the doors. All the upholstery has been re-trimmed, new door panels and still to fit new carpet.
I am now at the stage where by the whole car has been re-painted albeit in seperate components. Front and rear bumpers have been re-chromed and I am about to start the re-building process. I have been buying parts ever since 1986, having visited Carlisle on 9 occasions, Hershey on 3, and swat meeps in Connecticuit, Massachussettes, New Hapmshire, Vermont, Pensylvania. I have dealt with Chris at Performance years all this time, also Ames, Year One and Classic Industries. During this time I have learnt a great deal about '67 Firebirds and recently stumbled across this Forum about two months ago. During which time I have read every single page, and learned lots of things that I never knew. For instance, I didn't know that not all Rally II wheels were not the same having bought a set at Hershey many years ago and new red line tyres to fit, I am not sure if I can use these wheels. So, with the help from you guys ( I hope!) I shall be asking lots of questions and will hopefully be receiving lots of answers and advise.
Restoring an American car in England is not one of the easiest restoratioin to undertake, but I have brought every single part back from the USA including the sheet metal myself as bagage!!!
So, as you can see, I am quite determined to finish this project.