View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Senior Chief

Hello Jeff,

Good to see other Formula owners here indeed.
Thanks for the added info. I figured these cars were pretty rare. I can count on one hand how many I've seen over the years since my neighbor bought his new back in '77.

You know, I was wondering about the Formula wagons. I have a GM parts manual set from that covers '76 to '81 and it shows a Formula stripe kit for a wagon, but I never seen a Formula wagon in person. Interesting.
With regard to the Formula steering wheel being standard. My car has tilt wheel and a standard or "comfort cushion?" steering wheel, same color as the interior, which shows up as correct on the PHS. I say standard since it is the same steering wheel used in Grand Prixs, Firebird Esprits, LeMans ect. Also, my neighbors white car did not have the Formula steering wheel either, but rather the one like my car had, and in the same color as the interior as well. So, my question is, if the Formula steering wheel was standard while the other wheel optional? I'll have to look at my PHS and see if the steering wheel in my car was an extra cost option.
Also, it seems to me that the Formula steering wheel was an option on the non-Formula Astres. I say this because a girl I dated in high school father, had a Astre wagon, non-Formula, with a Formula steering wheel. He loaned me the car to take his daughter out in when I got my Z28 Camaro stuck in his driveway due to snow. The F cars from that era with posi were terrible in the snow! (Sorry to ramble.) Anyhow, the Formula wheel in the Astre wagon had the Pontiac crest medallion like you had described.

I'll post some pics of my Formula in the near future.

Mark