View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Suspended

Default 1981 Bonneville Brougham project

I have this '81 Bonneville 2dr that's been hanging around for the past couple of years and have decided to do something with it. In keeping with the luxury / sporty / fuel economy theme of that year and also being the last year for the fullsized rear wheel drive Bonneville, I am replacing the tired 265 V8/ 200 Metric lockup converter trans with a shop built stock '74 Grand Prix 400-4bbl with the only mods a Performer intake and roller timing chain, more for durability and factory Pontiac chrome covers. 200-4R OD pirated from a '90 Custom Cruiser wagon that had low mileage and a 1985 Impala cop car 3.08 posi rear. I just got the axles,backing plates and brake drums from a '77 GP I just parted to put in the cop car rear so I can retain the 15X7 aluminium snowflake wheels. The cop car rear has the big 4 3/4 " bolt pattern. I am also using the cop car springs and front/rear sway bars. They are quite big. Nice quiet dual exhaust of the '74 GP will work since the chassis are identical .Other than the smog pump, I will use the 265 V8 engine accessories. The steering ratio on this Bonne leaves a lot to be desired, so I need to source a faster ratio box.

The body is straight and solid. It will be lighter with aluminium trunk lid and hood that I got from a 1980 junkyard donor last fall. I still need to find a set of bumpers with the aluminium reinforcements. It is a very loaded car , even has the Astro roof and real leather. I figure that this will be an all around cruiser car with good performance,handling and gas mileage on the hiway. That's the goal anyways. I'm hoping for 20 mpg or near on the road, 15's 1/4 and up to a buck thirty wide open. We'll see how it goes.