View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never done anything stupid that hurt...

You've verified that the whole high-blower circuit works. As long as the fan switch sends power out on the gray wire, the blower will run on high.

You said earlier that the gray wire has power in the "3" position, then you said "2 and 3". If that's really true, the blower is running on high in those positions. That would seem to be a problem with the switch.

In the other positions, the fan switch sends power out through one of the other wires to the resistor. Only one wire from the switch to the resistor should be hot at a time.

If my diagram is correct for your car (and I believe it is), the black/red wire should be hot in lo, the black/white in "2", and the blue/white in "3". You will see voltage on all the wires at once, but only one will have battery voltage (the others will all be lower than battery voltage). If this isn't true, you have something wrong with the switch or the wiring from switch to resistor.

If you unplug the connector from the resistor you should only see one wire with voltage on it at a time.

Edit: I wanted to add that the object you called a "small resistor" in the clutch circuit is actually an ambient switch that prevents the compressor from engaging when the weather is cold.

"I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition...!"
'69 Cameo White RA III Judge, 4 speed, owned since 1977 -- my first car.