View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 10:57 PM

i just thought of something...now, it's late and i just got off of work, so i'm a little tired and exhausted, so maybe my brain isn't working right, but let's see what you guys think of this. now, my DMV said they only retain license and registration records for 10 years, and the car has been sitting with an expired tag for 30. now, let's say i look into the VIN and find that it is not currently registered in the USA, therefore logic would dictate that that means the car does not belong to anybody as far as the USA government is concerned. just for the purpose of this idea, let's say that is what happens. if it's not currently registered and it would be out of their system, i wonder if maybe i could file for a lost title, say the car was bought about 20 years ago by my dad, and the title was lost during one of our moves. then once we receive the title, we have the car towed home and it's officially and legally mine(although my dad would certainly have fun with it if he can fit himself behind the steering wheel). does that sound like it might work? i'm not a bad guy, i'm gonna make damn sure it's not currently registered before trying anything like this, but if it's not owned, i wonder if this would work.