View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

johnta1, just to clarify Kurt's comment about the '69 Lordstown AEE code and address your question about Lordstown Camaro Convertibles, the codes being found on 03-B & 03-C Lordstown Firebirds have no relationship to any other Lordstown production.

In particular, Lordstown did not build the '69 Camaro! The Firebird was being built there in '69 along with big Chevys, not sure what else, but not Camaros. Firebird production (but not big Chevy production) was terminated at Lordstown in March '69 and tooling moved to Norwood (which up to that point built Camaros but NOT Firebirds).

The one Lordstown AEE code was recorded by Transamric years ago. He logged it along with all other Data Plate info and the VIN. At the time he did not know the significance of any Lordstown Data Plate code, he just recorded what he observed.

It is VIN 9U135418 and is an 03-C hardtop, the final week of 'bird production at Lordstown.

I have logged a later VIN with the B80 code but this VIN is estimated (by me) to be among the last 600-700 'birds produced at Lordstown. The AEE that Ric found may simply be an anomaly but it certainly connects to the later use of the AEE code at Norwood. There is no doubt about any mismatch of the VIN & Data Plate (ie., a possible VIN tag swap to launder a stolen car) because the Body No. matches up with the VIN as a Lordstown Body.

The Lordstown B80 has been recorded on both Hardtops and Convertibles. Drip Rail is nonsensical on a Convertible but the Decor Group is not. That is why I believe it is not a coding error to see B80 on a Convertible.

And the timing of the first appearance of the code coincides with the PMD mid-March announcement deleting drip rail molding and other items from the standard 'bird content in order to lower the price of the '69 'birds, with the drip rail molding becoming part of the Decor Group option.

Norwood coded the Decor Group with the AEE code near as I can tell right from the start of 'bird production there in April, I've recorded a very early 04C build with the AEE code. Norwood did not use the B80 code AFAIK.

As yet I have not seen the AEE on a Norwood Firebird Convertible, but I have not recorded very many converts either. I would be surprised if they did not code AEE for a 'bird convertible with Decor Group option.

Norwood Camaros used various Data Plate codes (refer to Kurt's CRG website for a LOT more about that). But Camaros did not use the AEE code, that was a Firebird only code.

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post: