View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Suspended

yes very much worth it

I would get a copy of Jim hands book, he goes into great detail about the benifits of 1.65 rockers. and what may be required to install them. and thirty years earlier(?) Hendricson and Osterstock also went into some detail , in thier book about the 1.65's and valve train geometry. In fact in a second book they wrote more specifically about HP Parts that were available back then, they go into additional detail about 1.65 installation requirments.

hands Book,Rocky's book and both books written by Hendrickson and Osterstock,
I would also get Angles and McCarthy's book as well. they should be on every Pontiac fans book shelf

I would seek out a copy of Rocky's magazine article on the 1.65 rockers sold by Melling

I did a bit of research on Mellings rockers and was able to get a part number and a source of vendors who sell Mellings products as Melling does not sell the 1.65 directly to the public. I dont recall the specifics but a search will bring the thread back up and again Rocky's article gives alot more specifics.

Both Hand and Hendrickson and osterstock deal with installing 1.65 rockers and valve train geometry related to the installation of 1.65 rockers and also in more general terms.

another interesting point brought up by hendrickson and Osterstock was the use of an offset woodruff key for the cam gear.that too is in thier book. but you'll have to get a copy and read it for yourself.

And dont worry about your engine, they were tough enough to use in GMC trucks rated up to like 2 tonnes under warrenty no less.