View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Default engine repair

Moving forward with the project, I tore into the engine for a quick check. Turns out water had gotten to the cylinders when the car was being wet sanded during its paint job. The block and pistons were damaged, heads ok. The block is .030" over now with a TRW forged piston. I suspect it will have to .060" to clean up, it might at .040" but unlikely. We will need new pistons and are wondering if we should lower the compression. Summit sells Icon forged pistons that are dished +14 cc, the TRW / Sealed Power are a +6cc piston. Will that make much difference? Remember, this is a restoration project, 6-8 psi boost only and no racing. I know Ross makes great pistons but may be out of the budget, we are still in the planning / recovery mode.

It also has the exhaust crossovers in the head filled. I believe this should come out to help cold starts and atomize the fuel better, but being a turbo engine, will it matter?

One more thing, the engine has a solid harmonic balancer install. When I say solid, I mean solid, no moving parts! I can not see any point in this, who was selling them back in the late '90s when this engine was built and why?

Joe