View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 01:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been messing with the hood the last couple of days. Earlier I had pop-riveted the VFN cowl piece to the main hood. Yesterday, I installed eight of the Dzus fittings to establish the location of the hood to the front end and then did a little trimming along the sides to even it up. I also used some two-part epoxy to finish up the two sides of the hood/cowl splice.

Today, I set out to extend the front of the hood by epoxying some pieces to the front to extend it an inch or so. I was taking my time and and had to mix a little more epoxy. During the few extra minutes making the second batch, the epoxy I had already put on "went off" before I could get the piece in place. The directions said to allow 16 hours for it to air cure, so I was more than a little surprised to have it set in 5-10 minutes. I guess it's hotter out there in the garage than I thought. The batch went off as fast as Bondo would.

After grinding the dried epoxy off, I did again--faster this time-- and all was well. I'll let it cure overnight and continue with the hood tomorrow. I included a couple of pictures of how I clamped the piece in place. There's nothing like a row of thirteen clamps..........

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hood 002.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	335602   Click image for larger version

Name:	hood 004.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	335603  

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines