View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be curious as to how durable an aluminum body will. I realize the thickness of the F-150 aluminum body is not going to be as thin as it was on the old 1963-era Pontiacs, but I'd hate to be the guy that just bought an F-150, and a few teenagers are walking by and one says, "That's the truck that's made out of aluminum.", and the other kid gives it a mild punch and puts a huge dent in the fender.

Being a workhorse truck, it's going to dent easily, and frequently. Ford better make sure they aren't shooting themselves in their collective feet here. They may think it's a huge plus to have aluminum bodies, but 5 years down the road, when nearly every F-150 workhorse truck is pock marked with dents, it won't be very good advertising.

Aluminum bodies seem to be ok on exotic or rarely driven cars that are babied, but I'm not so sure it's ok on a work truck.

At least Ford is doing something with the $5.9 billion dollar ATVM government loan they received back in 2009, eh?

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeNoun For This Useful Post: