Thread: spare tire
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
I've used fix-a-flat for 20 years - it works good. For blowouts/flats caused by bent rims, I'll call AAA. They send a tow truck and the guy will change your tire where the car sits. Not very helpful if you don't have a spare, though.

If you want to maximize room, I'd go with a fix a flat and a mini spare - if you can find one. Use AAA and don't worry about the jack.
Does it actually fill the tire or just plug the leak? I would be impressed if it filled the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Koontz View Post
Pretty sure a 64 Tempest would have come stock with 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern.

They do make space saver tires in either 5 x 4.5 and 5 x 4.75 and would seem like a good option for your situation.
Sorry, I wasn't thinking yes 5 x 4.75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Your tire guy will hate you if you use fix a flat.

Donut spares are only good for low speeds for about 50 miles.

I made the decision a long time ago with my toy cars that if I have a flat - I'll call for roadside assistance and have them flatbed my car in to get a tire.

I run different sizes front and rear. My rears won't fit on the front and my fronts are too short for the posi rear. Murphy's law says that whatever size I had in the trunk would be wrong anyway.

I think your idea of a plug kit and a mini compressor makes the most sense.

Assuming of course that your existing tires are in good condition (I don't run any tires past 7 years).
I heard that about fix a flat. My question is it better then a plug kit? Will it seal a bigger leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Koontz View Post
I used to think the "Donut/Spacesaver" spare tires were only good for low speeds/short distances, but my experience with one has changed my opinion regarding them.

Back in the late 80s I used to work summers in PA and winters in Naples FL. During part of that time I had a Chevy Citation that came with a "Donut Spare". Since I was in Florida for several months I took a lot of stuff with me. The car was a 4 door hatchback and I had it packed totally full. The load was so heavy that if I pushed slightly on the rear bumper it would go to the suspension stops. I am sure it was way over its rated load capacity.

About an hour after I left Naples, I got a flat on the right rear of the car. I put the Donut spare on and drove about 50 MPH because I was concerned that the tire might overheat. After about an hour I stopped to check it and it was as cool as the other tires. I set the cruise control on 65 and drove the remaining trip home, approx. 15 hours. I only stopped for fuel/bathroom and each time I checked, it is was as cool as the other tires.

I drove over 1000 miles, at 65 MPH on a tire that was severely overloaded and the tire still looked like new when I got home.
That is a great story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
You'll still have plenty of room in your trunk even with a full-size spare.

Your '64 Tempest originally came with 14x5" wheels (5X4.75" bolt circle), a 195/75-14 is the metric equivalent to the 6.50-14 that it came with originally. Not all that big and really not much bigger than one of the modern donut spares.

Put a full size spare in the trunk and you'll have peace of mind out on a long road trip. A cheap/free scissor jack out of the trunk of a boneyard import works great and is very small.
We will see. I have 3 girls and a 2 year old boy. There will be 6 us in that car. That trunk is big but I bet we can fill it pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
When I was young and foolish, I drove a Honda Civic from Sacramento to Portland at 115 mph on a donut tire. We made Sacramento from LA in 4 1/2 and blew a tire there.

The speed warning is on there not because the tire isn't safe at speed - it's for the decreased traction/handling ability/braking that you end up with from the smaller contact patch.
That speed warning makes sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
AAA basic Tow back to responding AAA facility or destination of choice up to 3 miles . AAA plus Tow back to responding AAA facility or destination of choice up to
100 miles.
Great info on AAA.

Based on the great feedback from you guys I think I will for sure take the plug kit and air compressor. I will still look for a space saver tire and scissor lift.