View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Believe the Competition Series AFBs were made by Carter years earlier vs Edelbrock.

Now IF Edelbrock is copying the Competition Series tags and putting them on the E-Clones then I am not sure about that deal.

The Carter Competition Series carbs were fine carbs (just not as finely tuned as the typical Pontiac factory AFB in most cases).

Tom Vaught
X2.

The original Carter Competition Series came out in 1969. There were 5 different AFB's:

4758s
4759S
4760s
4761s
4762s

Additionally, there were 4 different thermoquads

4846s
4846sa
4847s
4847sa

Well, I scanned the TQ stickers, but the reflective silver turned black on the scan. Maybe in daylight with camera.

ALL of the Competition Series were sold aftermarket for very high performance street or race use. The A/F ratios were significantly lower (richer) than carbs which were calibrated for O.E. use. None of the Comp series had H.I.C. or fast idle cams. The 4847s/sa had no idle booster, so the idle circuit didn't work exceptionally well.

After Federal Mogul cloned the AFB, F/M started putting Competition Series stickers on some of the 9000 series clones, but they are quite different from the original competition series.

I do not know if there is an e-clone competition series or not.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.

Last edited by carbking; 02-18-2014 at 11:42 PM.