Thread: Gas Prices?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
Americans do the right thing buy driving less and buying more fuel effient cars but still pay the price for oil companies exporting fuel to other buyers
Driving less and buying fuel efficient cars is not the "right thing", it is simply a predictable human behavioral response to rising prices, basic Econ 101 stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
From the news Bloomberg

Eleven tankers were chartered to export clean products off the West Coast in the past month, up from two tankers during the same period last year, ship-fixture data compiled by Bloomberg show. Gasoline exports from the region rose 6.9 percent to 2.36 million barrels in January, a record high for the month, according to EIA data.

“I don’t think people are driving more here, so if this isn’t because of demand, then it does leave you to wonder if it isn’t all exports,”
Does this dimwit believe that demand only occurs on US soil?

And as I also mentioned, certain US laws make it cheaper for refiners to ship overseas rather than to domestic ports. Since US refiners are competing globally, it makes perfect sense to sell to buyers that offer better profit margins for the refiners. If those buyers are overseas, the product will be exported.

That shouldn't be so difficult to understand. Nobody should have to "wonder" about exports.

If you dislike free markets and prefer that gasoline be restricted and controlled, I guess you can lobby for that.

Again I'd suggest you be careful about what you wish for.