View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Senior Chief

I'm an idiot. I have learned a lot about myself and this car getting it this point. A HUGE piece, or shall I say the entire humble pie was served to me recently.
Last month I went to the salvage yard here that specializes in old cars. He has some early 70's Firebirds. I was able to get some front firewall measurements off of one that was clean of any damage. After doing some disassembly to gain access to the points I needed to measure I took those measurements to the front end of my '70. I set the tram gage at the exact measurement and point from the salvage car and compared them to mine and they were spot on! The body of my car is straight!
This was all done at my house and the car was not drivable so we had the flat bed come get the car and haul it to the frame rack. Once on the frame rack the frame tech set up the laser and targets under the car and programmed the computer and hit run.
There was 10 targets on the frame and everything hit spot on (all in the green area.) It was then decided its either the front springs or a control arm...
Come to find out the cause of the uneven stance of the car was the left side front spring was in upside down.....
Yea, I did that,,,idiot,,lol
Once I R&I the spring properly I hooked up what was needed so I could drive the car home, about 2 miles away taking the subdivision roads.
Sigh, I feel like such an idiot. I'd like to push all of the bad doings on this car on something else, like blaming the car. But in fact its all MY stupid doings. I guess the older I'm getting the more I'm missing when it comes to this type of stuff, it's embarrassing.
Anyway, I did those goof ups and own them. All I can do now is press on with the build.
And today, wow! I made much + progress with doing what I do best, blocking primer and paint related tasks. The right side of the car and trunk lid have had their first sharp cut with 80 grit on my long block. Tomorrow I will continue on to the left side and roof and get this bird in round 2 of primer this week. Then will come the dreaded task of lining up the front end, again. So much fun.
Tell ya what, it sure was fun to drive the car for a couple of months while I shook out all of the mechanical issues. The engine runs fantastic. The Pypes exhaust and HO manifolds sound bitchen. I left 2 knarly stripes going up the drive, too.
I will post some pic's of the progress in future updates on the build.
Until then, Cheers

Last edited by edvisme; 08-23-2014 at 07:07 PM.