View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
It's not semantics, and we're not implying anything here. By definition, the car HAS to have the original, born with block to even hope to use the term Numbers Matching when you describe the car. Any block, SR, non original but correctly coded, or incorrectly coded and it is not. That's it, end of story.
Agree. I have been in this hobby over 30 years. In all those years the term "Numbers Matching" has always meant that the vin #s on the block and tranny MATCH that of the car (or the EUN matches that on the billing card). It seems in the last 5 years or so the term "born with" has emerged as the new "numbers matching" as the latter seems to have lost it true meaning due to unscrupulous dealers, flippers, sellers, and auction houses. All I can say is, if I spend the time to drive to look at an advertised "numbers matching" car, I better see matching vins. As far as values, it is either VIN number matching, or it isn't. Engine and date code correct would be better than not. As far as the dealer warranty replacement excuse, everybody is using that now too. For me, I would need to see the paperwork showing that and I still would value it a little lower than a true VIN number matching car.

As far as date ranges, it sound like you are fine. I think the heads should be dated pretty close to the block. The build plant matters but so does the rarity of the car. My 400HOs VIN number matching motor is 6 months earlier than the car's build.