View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The vinyl industry has exploded in the past couple years. The producers of vinyl albums have preyed on nostalgic baby boomers with excess cash in their wallets, and created a whole cottage industry regurgitating classic music, in the classic vinyl format, to the masses.

But nostalgia isn't cheap. Vinyl albums are $20.00 minimum (Amazon) and around 20%-30% higher at retail outlets. That's for a standard reissue of an old album, not one of the repackages that has bonus material and an extra disc or two. Double albums are $30.00 and up. At Barnes & Noble or other retail outlets, buying three standard single album reissues on vinyl will run you $100.00 with tax. Because the producers of these vinyl albums are enjoying a 400%-500% markup, they keep kicking out new titles every day. They've re-released virtually every classic album you can think of, and even gone back to classic jazz and more obscure rock releases. They're even doing colored vinyl now, along with picture discs, and 45's.

Young people have discovered vinyl through their parents, or more often, recently deceased parents or grandparents that left a stack of vinyl records behind. To the kids, it's free music. The good part is that they soon discover what record companies have eliminated from music for the past 30+ years of CD's and downloads. Young kids are discovering the giant 12" artwork of an album, and the beauty of vinyl spinning on a turntable. And best of all, the old music was actually good, especially compared to the overproduced, overhyped music they have today that's designed to sell lipstick, perfume, and clothing.

I have a large collection of vinyl albums, and prefer original albums "with a little patina". There's always been a huge collector market for old records. Reissues and repackages, on vinyl, aren't affecting the value of original albums.

I guess it's like how people will pay a premium for an original classic car verses one restored with reproduction parts.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.