View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"I'm not suggesting everyone run out and slide 114 lobe sep cams in their engine. The reality is lobe sep isn't really what we should be looking at as overlap,"

+2

I saw several posts where folks posted nice number with tighter LSA, but NONE of them were 260 duration advertised cams and 220's @ .050"....NOT going to happen. Those little cams are, and always have been PISS-POOR choices for these engines, at any compression ratio.

What simply happens here is that you take a HUGE undersquare engine, that's already trying to make ALL the power right off idle, then put a cam in it that tries to make it better at what it already does best. Top that off with the excellent cylinder filling abilities of these "short seat timing" cams, and you have just built yourself a Pontiac 455 "turd".

I've had quite a few of these vehicles brought up here to tune, and ALL of them had the same symptoms, "quirky" idle, "stinky" shi@ coming out the pipes, octane sensitive, and did NOT like "normal" timing and fuel curves. Not to mention they didn't make any kind of impressive power, and were DONE before 5000rpms, even with really good flowing heads on them.

I don't know who's been keeping score here? But going from 428hp @ 4900rpms to 514hp at 5900rpms, and 516ft lbs tq to 559ft lbs, better idle, less stinky shi@ out the exhaust, etc is a nice improvement from only changing ONE PART.....IMHO......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),