View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the late 60's to early 70's, there was a "car culture". Everyone piled into the cars and cruised the main drag looking for a race or looking to watch a race. I lived in the far western suburbs of Chicago. We would cruise downtown Elgin half the night and head down to St. Charles to Rex's Drive-In for a burger. Some nights we would wind up in Hanover Park at the Mac's.

Some racing took place out on Bode Road between Streamwood and Elgin. There was a perfect 1/4 mile "down in the hole" where the guys would post lookouts on the hills at either end. I had a 1966 Fairlane GT w. a 428 CJ top end and cam and my buddies collectively had a '69 SS 396 Chevelle, a big block '66 Impala with a Bud Richter motor and a '65 GTO with a Racer Brown cam. There was a guy from Hanover Park with a '69 427 Nova that would flat tow his car, mount his slicks and race. He was wayyyy serious, we were just out to have fun and test each others' cars.

Sometimes we would cruise to Skip's on North Avenue in Chicago where "the big boys" hung out with cars way out of our league.

In those days, it was just fun hanging out and driving around. Gas was cheap so we would drive around all night checking out the cars (and girls). You had to live in that era to understand it. You tell the kids today and they will ask " So what is so much fun about driving around and doing nothing?"

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 07-12-2015 at 12:21 AM.