View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John62 View Post
Funny you would mention that. He did put a tri power on it a few years ago, mostly for the looks but no one can avoid putting there foot on it once in a while. So, at this point what rods should I tell him to go with, and what guide plates. The shop said just by guessing at this point, looking like .030 over not measuring yet, its in the cleaning tank so what is a good brand choice for pistons that can be bought in assorted dish sizes, in this case maybe about 20cc. As far as the heads, they were not cleaned up yet but do they originally come with valve seats as part of the head and he needs to machine a spot to install hardened seats or are there removable/replaceable seats in there now from the factory and how does stainless steel valves play into the equation. Thanks all for all this help.
Unfortunately, since not many 389's are being built these days, they are not a lot of piston choices for them. Basically you have 4 choices from what I can find.

1. Sealed Power stock replacement cast pistons. They use stock rings, and come in standard oversizes. These are flat top pistons that will give around 10:1 compression.

2. KB Hypereutectic pistons. These are flat top also, and are suseptable to breaking the top of the pistons off if the engine detonates. They require a lot of top ring end gap.

3. DSS racing pistons makes a flat top forged piston. Butler sells them. They make them for E-heads or later iron heads, or for early 389 type heads.

4. Custom. then you can get them made with whatever dish you want to get the compression where you need it, and whatever rings you want so you can get away from the tractor rings the factory used!

As far as rods go. There are several choices. If $'s are a concern, RPM H-beams are about the least expensive. Eagles are good, as well as SCAT, and others, but they will be more $'s also. Kauffman Racing Equipment has a decently priced Warrior H-beam rod also for around $400.

20 CC's seems like a lot of dish for a 389. I'd have to do some calculations, but I'm thinking more like 10 cc's or so.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles