View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I agree the grill looks strange (probably "homemade" at the DPG) but I don't think it has any rocker trim installed in the DPG photo.

I doubt it was anything special originally. I'm inclined to believe it was a production vehicle that, because of it's availability, gradually got morphed into this tire test vehicle.

Perhaps in a future Heritage Center visit I could get some build information off the car.

K
I realize this is an old post, but I just ran across it today, and had to throw in my 2 cents. I drove the tire test GTO back in the summer of '94. It was part of "high g / limit handling certification" which would allow one to conduct high speed testing at DPG and MPG. The GTO was equipped with an apparatus that would allow a front or rear tire to be deflated nearly instantaneously (it had pressures tubes attached via a slip ring apparatus to the wheel - tires could be re inflated on the fly from a compressed air tank in the trunk). The test runs that I made in the GTO were focused on learning how to recognize and recover from a blowout on either end of the car at speed. There were a number of other exercises required to receive the high g certification including evasive maneuvers and completing a gymkhana style road course under a specified time limit. (Note: only the "blowout" testing was done in the GTO, all other track work was conducted in current model cars) I still have a copy of that "license". I'll post it in a few days if I can find it!

Last edited by giles; 12-26-2016 at 01:28 AM.