View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the problems I had when I switched to the new dash for my 79 was that the dash was for 1970-77, and of course had the early car radio cutout. I had a vintage Audiovox Delco-clone unit from the late-Seventies in there and it worked fine but didn't fit the new Dash. I was disappointed.

I then decided to buck up and buy the top-shelf unit that was sold by Ames for the 1970-77. I received this unit: it looked gorgeous! I installed it as per instructions, hooked up the correct antenna and the thing got a D- for tuning; was very glitchy and you simply did not get AM! Bluetooth worked well. I sent it back to AAR for them to repair and a month later I got it back and it was marginally better but the tune was still glitchy: it has a digital tuner that has a mechanical needle that kind of jumps to where it thinks it's supposed to be it- doesn't always work. I got a hold of Ames and got a hold of the manufacturer in Florida and they graciously allowed the return. It was back on the hunt again.

I've been hearing really good things about the RetroSound unit versus another one that Ames also sells. I ordered their "Hermosa" model which included Bluetooth. I am very glad I did... This unit comes with quite a few different things to help you install it correctly, but I still had to make a couple things to get it fit the way I wanted it to fit. The brackets they supplied did not extend far enough forward and I need to also notch their face bezel to clear the new brackets. A pair of spacers were whipped up in the lathe with counterbores to clear the mounting nuts. This way there was no gap between the repop bezel and radio face.

Side of unit. Note CAT5 type sockets for shaft signal

Tools of a Tinner and the brackets made

Finished up and ready to mount. All sorts of inputs: USB, etc.

Mounted and working. Phone pic bites but phone flash would be worse... Ames supplied the bezel and knobs. I had to carefully grind the shafts with a Makita as the knobs are "D" shaped while the radio supply's split units. RetroSound does of course supply knobs but are a more generic offering. This runs $279 currently at Crutchfield's. Sound quality is excellent. Different color buttons are offered: chrome, black or ivory. They also supply a corded remote mike for the Bluetooth - trying to sort out best spot to mount, and a set of cute little overlays that make the unit look like a stock type AM radio.