View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by se428bandit View Post
It's a shame that Pontiac didn't drop the D-port 455 in the '74 GTO or up the compression on the 350 to 8.5 and use the 067 camshaft with a 3.23 gear. On my '72 Ventura we put a 068 cam in the original engine and milled 5 ccs off the heads. With a 3.23 single track rear I got it to go 9.24 in the 1.8 mile. I wish now I would have put my RobbMc fuel pump and LB manifolds on the 350 before I pulled it out of the car.
That article, and others like it at the time, are the EXACT reason I built a Pontiac 350 instead of dropping a 455 into the car. I wanted to prove what could have been, had the government and the insurance companies not been a driving force in new car design in the 1970's.

As both the car and its owner age, the car is probably aging slower than its owner

The car is now MUCH faster than the car's owner!

The cost of building the 350 to its current power level certainly exceeded the cost of a 455, but oh, the results are great!

And Dennis - the Saginaw is easily replaced by a B/W, and the car does not need to weigh 3600 lbs

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.

Last edited by carbking; 10-30-2017 at 10:01 AM.