View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 07:07 AM

Really no big problem driving old cars over here. You might want to skip the rush hour in the larger cities but otherwise the risk of something happening to your car should not be any higher than back home. So far I never had any damage to my Pontiacs in traffic here since you always drive a bit more carefully and foreward looking than in your modern cars anyhow. You do not park your classic car in some dark and deserted shady area at night back home either, I guess...
Driving on the Autobahn is not much different from driving on interstates in the US, only the trucks are not allowed to drive more than 50 mph. You just should stay out of the left lane most of the time if you do not intend to drive 100+ mph permanetly.
I sometimes see cars with US plates driving around here (mainly in summer) and if you have some kind of travel insurance cover for the car it should be no problem. Fuel costs might be considerably higher but on the other hand you can get 100 octane fuel here, if you like (at least in Germany). Should you come to Bremerhaven and/or Hamburg let me know if you need anything there, since I am almost daily in Hamburg and quite often in Bremerhaven... Even getting the basic spareparts for your car should not be too complicated since there are quite some shops around that supply the local US car fans with parts.