View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Vintage cars in tv/movies/ads

I’ve thought about posting this for a while but this week finally confirmed it....

Muscle cars are cool, old cars are cool and have been for years. Styles come and go (think T buckets, vans, etc) but for the most part cars up until the 70’s depending on model have a cool vibe. I have a lot of cars- honestly most of my money and time outside of work go to family or cars.

Had a number of friends ask me what I’m going to do when they aren’t worth anything and I always answer ‘as long as they keep putting them in movies and on tv I’m good’ which is honestly how I feel.

So I always kind of take note when our hobby is pitched (indirectly) to my kids generation. It’s always the cool kid or the villain that drives it and it can be almost anything but it ads to the show. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a classic car on Nickelodeon, Disney or MTV. It doesn’t have anything to do with the story- just adds to the characters image.

My wife and I were watching a show called Riverdale this week (a weird high school mystery version of the Archie comics oddly enough) and we’ve been noticing all the old cars in it. Now this show doesn’t really have a set timeline but I don’t think it makes a difference.

So after that long winded intro, in this weeks episode the Villan gives his daughtesr boyfriend (the good kid) a car. The car is a 69 Firebird convertible- there must have been 10 mentions about how cool ‘The Firebird’ was in the 45 minute episode. In the end the kids dad was disappointed they didn’t get to build a car so he gives it back and buys a 32 Ford (or similar) to build.

I thought it would be interesting for us to discuss this and note examples.

Here are a few:

Nickelodeon show Victorious the cool kid drives a gold 66-67 GTO
Miley Cyrus drove a black 79 trans am in her party in the USA video
A surprising amount of 70 full size Pontiacs in the most recent Transformers
68 GTO and a 65 GTO ( I think) in Transformers 3
Demi Lovato drove a nice early bronco in one of her videos
Any Sunglass add had a 60’s car in it
Johnny Depp driving a black 70-74 challenger in a commercial to sell some cologne

I’ve noticed A LOT lately- anyone care to add??