View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I built this totally custom deal for my fathers GTO. He isn't trying to conform to any PS rules but wanted a stockish appearance with a functional hood that looked like something GM might have done.

He runs a 2" raised fiberglass hood that looks stock. Along with a Victor intake and 2" super sucker spacer, I had to get creative so I used a GM L88 drop base, an L88 corvette air box turned 180 degrees and grafted into the hood sealing to the GTO scoops, and a 3" filter inside. Other than the small 4" diameter lid to hold the base to the carb that sits 3" above the carb, basically the top of the hood is sort of the bottom of the air cleaner lid. If I had to guess, probably 4 inches in between, Plenty of air to move around.

How well it works is up in the air. I've talked to some that the little L88 top and screen might be restrictive but they work well enough in the PS and FAST classes. His engine made 720/760 on the dyno so even if he's giving up a pinch of power with the setup it's still worth it for the cool factor. I'd like to think it's better than a plain ole' open element air cleaner sitting in a hot engine compartment.

Last edited by Formulajones; 07-20-2018 at 02:36 PM.