View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
I had no issues with my 1980 bolting the frame mounts in. Take another look .I used a stiff flex gear wrench with tape. There is access point at the lower control arm where it mounts. I assume the car is on jackstands with the front wheels off?
I got the bottom bolt in thru that opening, by the control arm mounting. But, can't get a straight shot to the round hole in the frame, because the lower arm is only maybe 3-4" below the hole. I put a bolt in a socket, with a short 3/8 extension, and was able to get the bolt up thru the round hole, but was not able to get the bolt up thru a motor mount hole.

Don't suppose I even know what a "stiff flex gear wrench" is. I know I don't have one. IF I can find 7/16 self tapping bolts, I'll go that way. Only ones I've found online come in a 4-pack for over $20 shipped.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Tapping...+tapping+bolts

I'll check at the local stores Fri. If they don't have any, I might just buy several grade 8 7/16" bolts and try to tap some threads by running them in & out of the holes. Have cleaned up the threads in old rusty holes this way. Don't have a 7/16 tap.

"...I assume the car is on jackstands with the front wheels off?"

It's on jackstands, but the wheels are still on. Just turned the wheels all the way to the left. I can get to the bottom round hole. I can even see light coming thru the top holes. Just can't(or haven't) get a bolt up thru one of the top holes.

Here's a 7/16 tap for $4.75 shipped.

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Drill...P0GGBJD53FMWXZ

So if I can't find any self tapping bolts & the grade 8 bolts won't cut the threads, I may buy a tap. I'm guessing that I wouldn't be able to buy one for anywhere close to $5 locally. But, I may be surprised. Bolts that will cut their own threads will make quick work of this little job. Sounds a LOT easier than trying to poke 3/8 bolts thru from the bottom, from what I've seen, so far.

Last edited by ponyakr; 10-18-2018 at 07:28 PM.