Thread: Rear end issue
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 02:11 PM

Default Rear end issue

I am in the final stages of finishing the rebuild of my 63 Lemans Convertible.

I have reached a very frustrating issue that I can not get my head around. Last year the car had the engine pulled for a rebuild, I had the transmission completely rebuilt and then the car got a complete body work and paint job. The engine was reinstalled and a new interior was installed.

A couple months ago my interior guy drove the car to a place to have a new top installed. While in the parking lot there, the car seemed to get locked up while in drive. It would go in reverse but if you put it in drive the car would want to move forward but it waould only squat and stall out the engine. I figured it was a transmission issue or a differential issue. This never happened in the few hundred miles I put on the car before I blew it up for restoration.

The car spent the next 6 weeks at the transmission shop. They assured me the transmission was fine and the binding was because the axle bearings were shot and causing the diff u-joints to bind.

After sourcing new axle bearings and rebuilding them myself the car was put back together.

On the way back to my place I noticed my brakes were very poor so yesterday I drove the car to a shop to get them inspected and fixed. The car locked up again in their parking lot (less than 10 miles since getting out of the transmission shop)

This repair shop (Brake Masters) says they think the problem for the locking up issue is a loose or warn linkage to the transmission.

The car will go into gear. I can feel the car want to more. But it only squats down like the parking brake is applied. Up in the air everything moves fine but on the ground it locks up.

I got one place telling me its' brakes, another telling me its transmission.

Does this ring any bells for you guys? Has this happened to anyone else? Please tell me where to start on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180515_125426.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	495895