Thread: KYB shocks
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
kyb are a good OE type replacement shock & have a lifetime warranty if they leak. overall they get great reviews for the shocks & the all in one replacement struts or coil over shocks. & they are much better than other same priced shocks like monroe.

they will feel stiffer for 2 reasons, #1 they are designed to be about 10% stiffer valving & springs over shock to make up for other worn parts, thats straight from kyb when i asked. #2, when you replace shocks with high miles or that are worn out, you have gradually become accustomed to the softer worn out ride, then you put in new correct working shocks, some stiffer than OE, & you suddenly think they are so much stiffer than what was on there, but in reality its restored the car back to what it should be. they will soften up some over time.

i just replaced alll 4 shocks (fronts are coil over) in my 4runner & the kyb's ride & handle very good, especially for the price compared to more expensive shocks, yes bilstein & koni etc are better shocks but then again they cost 2-3 times as much as kyb.

im happy with the way they ride, the price & the lifetime warranty should anything go wrong with them down the road.
Sorry, but this is just nonsense. I remember perfectly how this car rode when I bought it new in June 2004. The PRIMARY reason I replaced them is because the strut mounts were failing and since I had to replace them I thought I'd just replace the struts while I had them out. My car rode MUCH better with the original struts than it does now with the KYBs.

I also have a 11k mile original '06 for comparison.