Thread: KYB shocks
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
I also have a 11k mile original '06 for comparison.
That vehicle may only have 11K on it, but those shocks/struts have been supporting that weight for 14 years.

I've had the opportunity to attend the Monroe driving experience (not claiming Monroe to be the best units, just that they were one our aftermarket vendors as we also carried ACDelco, Motorcraft and Mopar OE units) several years ago.

They had 3 sets of identical vehicles. All vehicles had between 40 and 50,000 miles on them. One of each set still had the OE shocks/struts and the other had new Monroe units.

We got to make a run with both around a controlled course with washboard corners, sharp S turns, a simulated set of railroad tracks and a panic stop. We were encouraged to drive the vehicles hard. And we did.

My vehicle was a Mercedes sedan. It was amazing the difference that a 2 year old vehicle with only 43,000 miles (that's how many miles were on the OE strut version) had with worn OE vs brand new on the same model.

MY bosses drive turned out to be in a Chrysler minivan. I rode along just for the hell of it. Same results.

The difference with how the new shocks/struts dealt with keeping the tires in contact over the washboard surfaces, the greatly reduced body lean in the S turns and the pronounced nose dive of the worn front units in the panic stop was readily apparent.

Overall, it was a fun and educational experience. Lot's of tire squealing, and laughs as we watched others going through the same course.

My personal vehicle had about 65,000 miles on it at the time. I replaced my struts the following week after that test driving experience.