Thread: KYB shocks
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
Around 2005 or so I read on LS1GTO that the original equipment struts were Monroe. I've owned my car since new and stamped right on the struts are the word Monroe. So I can confirm that statement. So, would Monroe build to a different standard for oem than for aftermarket, maybe via an agreement with the manufacturer? Because if the AC Delco parts, which claim to be OEM, are the EXACT parts that were originally installed, these KYBs are coming off and replaced with AC Delco..
I can confirm that when a vendor is signed to build anything for ACDelco - it is built to ACDelco specs. Why? Because ACDelco knows what the OE specs were and they want the part to be built to those specs (unless they have identified a problem area and then they will redo the specs to alleviate said problem). They also are restricted from using that exact spec for their own products.

If a vendor is signed to build a part for ACD, it doesn't mean that they build that part for all makes or models for ACD.

I can tell you that In 8 years of working with both ACDelco and Monroe reps (2010 - 2018) neither rep ever said anything about Monroe building ACD shocks or struts. Many of my aftermarket reps were proud to let me know that they were vendor ACD was using for XXX parts.

Doesn't mean Monroe didn't build them in the past, just that during that time period I don't believe it did.