Thread: First job
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 03:36 PM

My first real job was working at the local dog track, Cloverleaf. I was the guy who walked the dogs to the box enclosures. It paid pretty well but the guy who got paid even better was the guy who walked the dogs in a circle before the race and had to capture the dogs pee in a cup. The most memorable race was a training race for the newer dogs that have not raced before. This is also training for the new people like myself. There are no people in crowd and this happens a few weeks before the season starts. Anyway the rookie dogs get nervous and usually pee themselves a little even after the walk. The way you put dogs in racing kennel is one forearm under neck and one forearm under back legs and lift. So right arm usually smells like pee for the day. Well anyway back to the rookie dogs and their first race. They are all trained to run after the white stuffed rabbit. Well after the race they do not know what to do because the rabbit disappears in a box. Well the dogs lose interest quickly and start running everywhere and anywhere. Ever try and catch a greyhound at full sprint that will scatter in 20 different directions, not happening. You are responsible for your own dog and have to get it back on the leash. One guy lost his dog and we never found him, I dont know where his dog went but we looked for an hour and it was gone.