View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
nice looking bird. personally i would keep/rebuild the original turbo engine... especially over a 350 chevy!! why is the motor "shot?" the 301t isnt the most loved engine but can be made to run pretty decent with not much work. $3200 will build a 400 pontiac to have just as much power as the crate chevy & will be a much easier install.

as for paint, do it the color you like but IMO, silver on red is one of the best looking color combos for these cars... & green will NOT look good with red interior. dont get too crazy on the color combo, green on red will not have much resale value come time to sell it.

& roller tip rockers fit under stock valve covers with a single stock gasket. & in the future please resize your pics to smaller so they can be viewed better, those are way too big for forum use.
Thanks for the input. I'll disagree with you on the cost to build a Pontiac engine. Everything, and I mean everything costs 2X what a Chevy engine costs. Do you still need a Pontiac engine... yes. The exact engine I wanted in the 75 is there and running beautifully, but I paid for it. The onlu original parts on it are the block, rods and crank... everything else is new. Do I advocate a Chevy?... No. Do I poo-poo the idea... no, as it's cost effective.

I'll disagree on the 301 too. It's a dog engine and everyone knows that. It was the end of an era and the turbo 301 is not a good engine. Replacing it with a 350HP 350 Chevy (also GM BTW) with a warranty is a reasonable compromise IMHO. I know the haters will hate, but let's get real here. What is the most bang for buck?

What I'll most probably do is install the crate engine and leave it as is. If the next owner wants to revive a putrid 301 that's number's matching then they have the choice. They won't... why would you if the car runs well?