View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the damaged tires were “almost” worn out such that they wouldn’t make it thru the winter, I’m surprised the insurance company didn’t depreciate them. In 1982 (I know, a long time ago), I had all 4 tires and the cast aluminum snowflake wheels stolen off my ‘80 Phoenix. Zero deductible on my State Farm comprehensive coverage. They paid for new wheels but depreciated the tires 50% because the car had 20,000 miles on it. I was bummed cause I felt if I was prepared for new tires I would have been price shopping. But felt I got hosed on the price of the tires so that in reality my share was more than 50%.

I would ask the tire seller for a written letter stating why 4 were needed, preferably stating that they would not install just 2 because they didn’t want the liability for consequential damage. The insurance company might cave because if they disagreed and something did fail, their denial would be a huge smoking gun. And imagine if the failure resulted in an accident with injuries.

Of course, you already realize, if the insurance company paid 50% of the cost of 4 tires, that is better than if they had depreciated worn out tires 70% and only paid 30% of the cost of all 4.

My sister who spent most of her career in auto insurance would advise NOT to even make a claim in this case. I’m assuming new set of tires was around $600. Insurance companies see a small claim as a red flag. Especially for new customers. They will quickly cancel a customer that statistics show will likely abuse them. And finding a new insurer after being cancelled could be expensive, negating any small claim reimbursement you got.

I’ve been with State Farm now for over 40 years. My policies are non-cancellable. And it’s not like I’ve never had a claim. My then 18 yo son totaled an $8000 car, I’ve had 2 roofs replaced for hail damage, 2 cars repaired for same hail damage events (all told, over $20k in hail damage repairs), and a few windshields replaced, etc. I’ve had a few things I could have claimed but didn’t. They’ve treated me right and I’ve not abused them. And now I have the peace of mind that I’m a customer for life.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post: