View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
My 95 3500 HD popped a brake line yesterday that runs from the ABS unit to the LF flex hose, so I made a new one from Nicopp line, installed it, and as I always am, I have no second person to help bleed it, same scenario over the last 50 years of wrenching.

I left the lower connection loose at the flex hose, refilled the front half of the master cylinder and gave it a few gentle pumps at the very top of the stroke to start a siphon. Same result as always over the last 50 years. The fluid drips from the connection for a minute or two, I tighten the connection. jump into the cab and start the truck and test the pedal. It holds just fine, and is right at the top of the travel, done and done. No vacuum pumps, no pressure bleeders, and no second person to pump, and hold the pedal. I performed the bleeding by myself, with brake fluid, gravity, and time. Probably in less time than it took to type this.

Just wanted all the doubters that say, "it can't be done" to know I just did it, with the same results I've had over the last 50 years. I never opened the bleed screw on the caliper because it never emptied the caliper. I bled it at the lowest connection that was opened, same as usual. No sense in trying to open a bleed screw that is 25 years old if you don't have to. I had enough fun trying to save the flare nuts to reuse on the new line (special application, not easy to come by at most parts stores). Also saved me a 20 mile round trip. Heat was my friend, as most times in a corroded fastener application.

Just replaced 2 brake hoses and 1 caliper on the front of a PT Cruiser this past weekend. Bled them the same way. Perfect brake pedal.