View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 11:07 PM

Here is my 2 cents. I currently have been working for the same dealer in the Chicagoland area for 20 years. These days as a customer you will find your best price online. Online prices are usually the lowest they will go. That being said, if you walk into the showroom and ask the price of a car, you will start at a higher price and possibly negotiate down to the internet price (I say possibly because if you dont know that price and they can make a extra couple bucks, its your loss and more profit).

Dealers get cars a on floorplan, so they dont start paying interest, etc.. for maybe 60 days or 90 days. MSRP is manufacures suggested retail price = price on window sticker. Invoice is the price the dealer pays for the car. However, there is more to it then that. There is also holdback, which is the rebate the dealer gets from the manufacture. The holdback can be different on 2 of the same cars. If one car was built January and the second in April, and you are looking at a car in May you might get a better deal on the lower VIN number built first in January.

If you have a specific option package you want, and the dealer can not find one at a local dealer that they trade cars with, you have 2 options. One they could do a national locate to see if any dealer has one, they then would have to pay money to have it transported, which you will be paying for. Or the second would be to order if its possible, and expect to pay close to sticker because for one they know you want it and cant get it and two if you back out they are stuck with it.

Always negotiate your new car price first, so you know what value you are getting on your trade in. Look at kelly blue book and expect to be on the low end of trade in value for your car. If you can sell it out right, thats going to be your best bet, but you have to find someone with cash on hand.