View Single Post
Old 12-31-2020, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Brad and Larry for the info. As for the others that responded:

There's an OD requirement as I drive this car 3-4000 miles a year easily and as proponents of the 700R4/4L60 I can only assume your vehicles are much lighter or you've been very lucky. I've done enough research and confident this isn't a builder issue, plain and simple you can't put decent power through a 1.1 inch shaft and expect it not to break, especially going into an aluminum hub. Sonnax supposedly makes a steel version but you can't get them and it doesn't address the 1.1 inch input shaft issue which can't be changed or increased in diameter due to design of the trans.

I've always been a fan of the 700R4, I put it in the car back in 1990 before the 4L80 was around but as I said, now that I've seen the guts it's foolish to think you can put any good Pontiac torque through it especially if you put sticky tires on and if your car is heavy.

Now I know sometimes people get a little snippy on here, I'm not interested in a lengthy debate, just my humble opinion and my 4200 lb car has tested this and consistently won!