View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 11:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Rich, I think if you check you should discover that the driver side Outside Mirror was offered as a Factory option for the '64/'65 Chevelle in both Manual and Remote variants.

Unlike Pontiac however, Chevy did NOT offer them as individual options.

To get one, you had to get one of the "Comfort and Convenience Equipment" group options, either the "A" Package (manual) or "B" Package (remote controlled).

I'm no Chevy guy but I became aware of this while researching the '64 KC and Balt Shipping Orders (PHS docs). Since it was a Chevy document, it was helpful to me to study the '64 Chevelle option choices to help figure out the equivalent codes assigned to the various Pontiac options.

I am not aware of any Pontiac or Chevy offering the RH mirror as a Factory option in '64/'65. They were only available as Dealer Accessory packages.

My own '64 GTO did not get an outside mirror option and I chose not to add one during the resto.

Let's just say, it has made driving it "interesting".

Confirms how dependent I have become on my LH and RH outside mirrors on all my cars over the past 40+ years.
Most outside mirrors were put on Chevelles as part of one of the comfort and convenience group packages. My particular Chevelle that was the case: driver's side mirror, day/night interior mirror, glovebox light, 2-speed wiper and washer and back up lights were part of the package. Most Chevelles that were Malibus or Malibu SSs were dealer ordered with the C&C group. That left the stand alone outside mirror mostly as an option for the 300 and 300 Deluxe and many of those got one. But you are right, the stand alone outside mirror was a dealer installed option only.

It is rather weird to drive the GTO and not have an outside mirror of any kind. But that's the way it came so I'm not going to add one.