View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This may sound harsh but I'm not trying to come off that way.

On the RFI and EMI stuff I've read so much about, I can't help but wonder what kind of issues those cars had to start with before the EFI swap.
Not knocking other cars, but I've seen some pretty crappy cars I think I could find 10 other things to spend $1500 on before I worried about EFI.

I think it's a conglomerate of things. Some of it self inflicted, some of it could be the units fault, some of it the installation, the list goes on. Most of the time diagnostic issues end up coming down to the car itself having underlying problems that are simply magnified when EFI is installed.

I installed 2 Sniper Stealths on our cars and have experienced no RFI issues. Both of them are GM products that have rear engine distributors, with coils mounted back there as well, and the Sniper Stealth wiring comes right out of the back of the unit, right into the path of the distributor and coil on both cars. I still have no issues, and my plug wires on the Chevelle are at least 20 years old.

I think if you run good quality plugs wires, a good quality distributor cap, with resistor plugs, a good quality coil, and have everything properly grounded, that's probably half the battle right there.

Wiring it directly to the battery is also a big deal.

Having a really good fuel supply system is another big one that many people get stuck on trying to diagnose (not RFI related though).

The engine also has to be pretty sound with no internal mechanical issues, no exhaust leaks, no vacuum leaks etc.... If you have any of these problems the EFI will magnify that problem.

The other big complaint with these units I read all the time are the temp sensors. They tend to read a bit too high, and that skews the fuel table graphs making it very hard to tune, especially the cold start parameters and up throughout the fuel curve as the engine is warming up.

It's a simple fix, new sensors from the local parts store fixed both of mine, as they both had this issue. Other than that, they both have performed flawlessly.

It all sounds more scary than it is, but they are things that can drive people nuts. If you have a solid car that runs good for you now, the EFI swap will probably go smooth.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE