View Single Post
Old 06-06-2021, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
What about how far it's engaged? Looking at this pic shows it to not be fully engaged. I think a shim or two in the distributor would help.
That picture looks like it was a pretty brittle fracture....suggesting that it was pretty hard.....maybe too hard for it's own good. Brittle fractures usually start at some sort of stress concentration like a nick or a notch or a sharp edge. If possible, I'd be curious to see the other side of the fractured spot, since it had to initiate from the side facing away from the camera.

With the tangs, it looks like an OEM or Melling shaft?

I recall from my previous days working with OEM parts, that the stock driveshaft had a lengthwise witness mark suggesting that it was made from extruded bar stock vs. the Ram Air/SD engines had a shaft that had subtle spiral colorations which made me suspect it was some sort of rolled alloy steel.

I agree with the statement that on a street engine, the stress should be pretty moderate. I'd wonder if there was an unusual event? For instance, maybe the oil pump ingested a metal chip or something that caused a momentary spike in load?

Just pondering.....
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”