View Single Post
Old 08-25-2021, 09:06 PM
Boost Engineer

Totally different application for the helmet. Navy Jet vs Drag Racing.

You rarely run into guard rails or concrete walls in a jet.
You might run into another aircraft on the carrier if your plane is shot up.
Most would say flying on a carrier, if properly trained is less dangerous vs a 200 mph
drag car. So I would say your example needs work. A lot of work.

As far as looking like brand new. 300 passes in two years. 10.0 seconds for each pass. 3000 seconds divided by 60 seconds =
less than one hour on the helmet in two years with a lot of racing 150 passes each year.

Now you take the Road Race Guy, runs 4 sessions of 20 minutes each racing weekend. 80 minutes for a weekend.
He runs every month for 6 months. 480 minutes in a year. He wears his helmet for 8 hours in a year.
Now if he runs a nascar race we are not talking 20 minute sessions, we are talking hours for each race.

So I can understand why the Drag Race guy with a 8 second or 9 second car has a helmet that looks like new.
He is sitting in the trailer or on a bench 95% of the time he is at a race track.

I guarantee that Eric will get a lot more time on his helmet road racing vs the minimal wear and tear from running a few 6 second
passes each year.

But keep posting about Drag Racing, Helmets are manufactured for all forms of racing. The Baja 1000 races being another example of wearing a helmet for hours vs seconds.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 08-25-2021 at 09:22 PM.