Thread: eBay sightings
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2021, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
You are reading the wrong column, the prices you refer to are the dealer cost. The retail price of those two options was $15.80 and $375.99 for AC.

You are right that you could get a lot of nice options for the price of AC.

For the price of AC you could instead order power steering, power disc brakes, Radio, rear speaker, wood wheel, tilt wheel and hideaways.

Btw, even though this car isn’t loaded $4,800 was big money for a GTO in 1970. Typical delivered price of a GTO was $4,000 to $4,300. That extra several hundred dollars was a lot in 1970 dollars and you tended to get nothing extra when you traded it in.

In those days the options that paid off at trade in time were power steering and brakes, automatic, AC, radio, vinyl top and on sporty cars like a GTO maybe a console and rally wheels. All other options added almost nothing to trade in value.
Good catch. Not sure what the vinyl top adds or subtracts nowadays, but removing it and letting it sit out in the elements has killed many a Pontiac.

I've collected many rare parts for my 69 Firebird 350HO. One of the most costly options was the AM/FM stereo radio. Not sure how much I paid for it, but I know paired with the 8-Track it was a very costly option. I also have a speed warning option for a 69 Firebird and from what I can remember there were <250 total produced. Not sure how many were put in 70 GTO's, but I would guess very few. Options like that aren't particularity cool, but due to the rarity it makes the car unique.