View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 06:20 PM

If this was my vehicle I would spend the money on an oil pan gasket and when I had the pan off I would pull the cover plate off the base of the oil pump and inspect it. It will give you an idea how much debris has passed the oil filter and gone through the oiling system.

If it has defined wear patterns and no deep scoring you could just replace the oil pump with a new one and feel comfortable that your idle oil pressure will be higher and nothing serious has gone amiss

If there is deep scoring in the plate you can be sure that some of those particles have made their way to a bearing or lifter. Only then would I contemplate going deeper into the engine. With the information you gave as to usage of the vehicle I would not likely do anything more than replace the oil pump.

Usually you can also remove the gears from the pump and inspect them.

Just be aware of the distributor drive shaft and its desire to obey the laws of gravity.

If your feeling cheap or want to pretend your a used car salesman just flip the scored plate over and reinstall it back on the oil pump.

I prefer to spend my money on physical solutions, not cross my fingers and hope solutions.
Just my opinions which have never gotten me a free cup of coffee anywhere!