View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBIII View Post
That's a new one here too. Working in the garages back in the 70's the older mechanics told me that the crud formed inside the engine was because of the high Sulphur content in QS oil. None of them ever ran it in their cars.
As has been said, after looking at the insides of engines that ran QS, I never used it in my own stuff. I used to run Valvoline, but when I was running dirt track cars I had bearing failures. I was working for a Pennzoil dealer at the time, (1977) and he was generous enough to offer to give me free oil for the race car. He ordered racing oil to keep in stock.

I switched over to The Pennzoil, and the bearing failures went away. It may not have had anything to do with running Pennzoil, but at the time I was happy that the engine problem was gone. I've been using Pennzoil ever since, almost 45 years now. There were lots of racers in the OH, PA, NY tri state area that run it in their dirt cars. When I bought out the garage, service station from my former boss, I sold a lot of Pennzoil racing oil to dirt track racers in the area.

I believe now that QS and PZL are fairly close in formulation now, if not the same oil, since they are under the Shell umbrella. Just theory on my part though, no evidence.

The element that made Penn crude oils better years ago, is now added to most oils, and is made synthetically. Most brand name oils now have it in their formulation, so it's no longer something that only Penn Grade oils have any longer. The name escapes me, begins with an A, it makes the oils similar, when before it was only found in Penn grade crude.

Over the years I have found out that there is a lot of engineering that goes into the formulation of oil, but no matter what label is on the bottle, keeping it as clean as possible is more important than who made it.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated