Thread: Rebuilding 455
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
AGAIN!We are talking about a street engine and there we go talking about spinning a 4.25 stroke pontiac to 6800!When I built my 63 421 HO "street" engine I used rebuilt late cast rods for a reason.I lost a engine in a 400 because of dropping a valve and pushed the valve head thru the piston head,bent the "cast" rod some but did not break.I found that they were better than the early forged rods and for my application would be fine.Also has a cast factory arma steel crank,flat tappet 068 cam etc.I think some tend to over build true street engines.I for one am guilty at times!FWIW,Tom
Tom, how many conversations have you and I had on this subject over the years? Some of these guys must think a "street engine" has to be built to the same power level as all-out race engines. They do not; what a street engine needs to be built to is to survive in stop and go traffic, be dependable, not overheat, have the ability to pass a gas station and NOT be disassembled on a regular basis.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post: