Thread: Timing curve
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2022, 02:20 PM
Suspended

I prefer the older points distributors with a CD box. They came with performance curves built into the weights. Those weights are so important, you need to find the best ones. They not only control amount of advance but when the motor gets the advance. The old iron single point distributors are the best and when used to trigger a Capacitive Discharge ignition. You end up with one of the best ignitions going.

The inductive discharge ignition it too slow for todays performance engines. Its not so much the amount of power but how quickly it gets there and how fast the ignition can recover and ready for the next fire. Points, HEI, Pertronix and all the custom made distributors that you cant get replacement parts for are all Inductive Discharge. If keeping the ID ignition, I would just stay with the points. Summit sells a real nice set of Accel 32 ounce points that work well. I buy the vintage Made in USA points on e-Bay. I like the Vertex Z-6 Capacitive Discharge ignition. It is also made in the USA.