View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

I have an original Fitech unit, I did wire the fuel pump through a new connector and run the Walbro pump with no PWM.

I have been very happy with it, but had one lingering problem as I was chasing the accelerator pump for years.....just couldn't figure it out. I had an off idle stumble that would not cure with the accel pump adjustments. More fuel seemed to help but not correct it, I ended up making a lazy engine off idle with too much fuel.

I eventually put a vacuum gauge on the port timing and revved the engine, I had no port vacuum until 2000+ rpms. I had checked the secondary linkage several times by eye and it looked just fine, seemed to move together and WOT was fine. The Fitech port timing is very sensitive, I adjusted the secondary linkage one turn if I recall correctly (very little) and got it where the vacuum gauge was moving with any touch of the throttle and it smoothly added vacuum. I also added a couple more degrees of timing (14/35 all in by 2750) and it runs much better. I was able to pull out a ton of fuel for the accelerator pump and that really woke up the off idle power.

If you're having a tuneability issue with the Fitech, put a vacuum gauge on it and see what's going on. I think Fitech has it very close from the factory and works for most, but there is a tolerance build up in the linkage fittings etc. that may make it where it is just ever so slightly off, and it will have a major effect on port timing. I think this is plaguing some people that just could not get the EFI to work after trying everything. I would suggest this as a required check with any install of a Fitech EFI. Trust me, your eye is not accurate enough for this check.