View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1funride View Post
I have one of the original early Fitech units 30004 600 Power adders and an older MSD ready to run distributor. The distributor does not have a tach output, so I am using a basic MSD 6A CD ignition for tach signal generation. Do I need to do anything other than lock out the distributor, remove the weights, and install an MSD phased rotor to get the ignition timing controllable from the Fitch?

Sounds like a great option.

Has the Fitech ignition feature evolved overtime from the original units?
Do I need to, or is it recommended to run the Fitech CD box in place of the MSD 6A?
How does the Fitech ignition control compare to a Progression Ignition Distributor?
The FiTech needs a two wire distributor. So yes you’d need to take the guts out of the ready to run distributor and convert it. Locked out with an adjustable rotor will get you there.

The FiTech has a built in spark commander. You do not need to run an external CD box. I am not on my setup. However having the CD box has some benefits to idle quality, and in boosted applications.

I have an early FiTech as well. The only real thing that has changed from early units with the t195 software to the t198 software is the ability to lock timing which aides in syncing the distributor with the computer.

In regards to the progression ignition, that unit has a more granular spark map than the FiTech has. That said it’s not talking to the FiTech either and it simulates load from a vacuum signal. If you have the ability to get the FiTech up and running, I’d lean in that direction. If you had a FiTech that doesn’t command timing, I’d definitely recommend the progression ignition.

You can install the t198 software if you’re after an easier setup.