View Single Post
Old 12-30-2022, 12:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Geothermal questions

I'm looking into going with a geothermal system. I've done a search and seen a few people here have gone that route for a number of years now. Everyone seems to have a different philosophy as far as depth and number of holes. I've had recommendations on 3 ,4,and 5 ton units, hole depth, install time, and prices vary significantly.

We are currently heating with fuel oil and I'm figuring the geothermal would pay for itself in 5-8yrs, depending on the cost of oil and weather conditions of course. It's about 3000 sq/ft basement and main living area. The upstairs isn't ducted to the oil furnace and is on it's own heat pump so I'm not factoring that in.

I know someone who has 2 holes at 250' with a 3 ton. He said during this recent cold snap his house wouldn't get above 60* but when the temp rose to 13* he was back to the normal 70*.

Can anyone give insight as to drilling 1 hole 800-1000' vs drilling 5 holes at 180-200'? The deeper hole guys and going with the 3-4 ton unit where as the shallower hole people are 4-5 ton. There's still the 30% tax break given, money is always an issue but I'd pay for deeper drilling if it's going to make a big difference. Also I've been told a week to a month for complete installation, which goes along with price, of course I'd prefer to have it done as soon as possible but would wait for performance.

Thanks!