View Single Post
Old 01-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Drove a 66 Catalina, 9 passenger wagon with a 421 HO, turbo 400, 3.42:1 rear gear for 15 years as a daily driver. Towed a 19ft. 3500 lb. Sea Ray boat thousands of miles with it to various lakes in OH, IN, KY, TN. Towed a open race car trailer with it a few times. It ran 14.69 @ 98 MPH @ 5100 lbs. I would say that was a damn nice combination. I put about 140K miles on it while I owned it.
I grew up with a 66 Catalina Station Wagon. 389, 3 on the tree and had a Toploader 3 speed from the factory. Got 19mpg. Took us from CA to Broken Bow OK twice.
My dad put a GTO intake and AFB on her. Totaled it 3 times. 55 Chevy pickup was stopped in the middle of the road just past a curve on a 2 lane mountain road talking to people on both sides of the truck. We plowed into their Barden bumper and shortened the car. Had a complete Bonneville front end on her after that down to the emblems. (my dad go the ticket for the rear end but its not like we could go around them with people there. He caught my sisters head seeing her in the rear view mirror as she was about to go through the windshield)
2nd time the whole car got sandblasted in a dust storm in New Mexico on a OK trip. All new glass and paint job.
3rd time I burnt the dash down playing with flares....... in the Church parking lot at intermission.
The 66 389 thin cylinder wall issue finally took her out in the 80s.
We pulled the intake and carb before hauling her off.
My brother and I wish we still had her once we started bracket racing because it would have been very cool and consistent with all that weight out back.

This thread, my vote goes to a 400HP 455 with 3.08s and a T400. 480LE even better.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post: